March 4 is National Grammar Day!
Ok, I admit it, I am “one of those” people who cringe when poor grammar is used (partially due to the teacher in me, and partially due to my unwaivering Type A personality). 🙂 Therefore, I was pretty excited to find out that there is an actual day to celebrate good grammar and perhaps “persuade” some offenders to change their ways. 😉
There is actually a website for National Grammar Day with some fun resources (even a song created just for the event)! Click here to see all of the fun! Here are some more great resources to help you teach your students and your own children proper grammar.
In honor of National Grammar Day, Scholastic has a great list of seven common hang-ups for kids and parents, saying that “these are the mistakes you don’t want to make.” Definitely check out these commonly made mistakes so you don’t make them yourself in the future!!
- Great page of grammar-related resources put together by Grammar Girl Mignon Fogarty
- Super list compiled by high school teacher Larry Ferlazzo: The Best Sites For Grammar Practice
- From Scholastic: Celebrate National Grammar Day With a Grammar Play
- Lesson Plans and more from Unique Teaching Resources
- Tons of great lesson plans from Teachnology
- Lots of excellent ideas for teaching grammar in an ESL setting
- Some nice free printable practice worksheets – from Have Fun Teaching Blog
- Selection of top rated lesson sites from Teacher Planet
- Spelling Lesson Plans & Activities
- Huge collection of printables from Super Teacher Worksheets
- Large collection of worksheets from Education.com
- 7 Tools for Next-Level Writing
- 10 Ways to Celebrate from Writing Forward
- Printable Crosswords and other practice worksheets
While you’re celebrating National Grammar Day, check out this fun article from CNN that was published on 3/3/14 highlighting some of the worst grammar fails.
Here are some fun online activities and games to help kids practice (you know, so they don’t grow up to be one of “those” adults)!
- Fun Engish Games
- Lots of online quizzes from Houghton Mifflin English
- Tons of games from SlimeKids
- Word Games Online for Kids, Teachers & Parents from Funbrain
- Punctuation Games for Kids