It seems like Pokemon Go is everywhere! I was even at my local mall yesterday and Brookstone had a huge sign that said “Welcome Pokemon Go Players”! I’ve heard good and bad things about this new craze. For example, news stories about how it is dangerous are all over the Internet (many of which have been met with people arguing that people just need to be smart and aware). In contrast, many parents are loving the fact that Pokemon Go is making kids get outside and get moving. Whether you are familiar with the app or have never heard of it, Pokemon Go, when used properly, can be a great resource for learning. Here are several Pokemon Go learning and teaching resources.
What is Pokemon Go?
TeachHUB just posted a great article that discusses using Pokemon Go in the classroom. In addition to other great information, the article defines Pokemon Go as:
…a newly released app by Nintendo that, according to Vox, “uses your phone’s GPS and clock to detect where and when you are in the game and make Pokemon “appear” around you (on your phone screen) so you can go and catch them. As you move around, different and more types of Pokemon will appear depending on where you are and what time it is.
Using Pokemon Go in the Classroom
So, how can this crazy popular app be used in the classroom or as a learning tool for parents to utilize? First, definitely check out the TeachHUB article as it gives some fabulous tips and information. The article focuses on “augmented reality” which is discussed (and explained) at length. In addition to this, Pokemon Go can be used to get kids excited about general subjects such as math and language arts.
First, be sure to check out this great article from the ISTE (International Society for Technology in Education): 14 ways to bring Pokemon Go to school. Next, head over to Discovery Education to read the great post Pokémon Go in the classroom. Finally, check out this awesome post: Ways to use Pokemon Go in the Classroom. After you go through those fabulous ideas, here are even more!
Pokemon Go Learning Resources – Collections
- Ways to Use Pokemon Go in the Classroom
- Why ALL Teachers Should Use Pokemon Go
- Understanding Pokémon Go and how teachers can use Pokémon Go in the classroom
- Use the Excitement of Pokemon Go to Create Learning Experiences for Your Students
- Ways to use Pokémon Go in Your Preschool
- 12 Ways to Use Pokemon Go in Your Classroom
- 7 reasons to use Pokémon GO in classrooms
Pokemon Go Learning Resources – Math
- No Time for Flashcards: Pokemon Math – Learning After School
- Pokémon Math – Grades 2 and 3
- Mathed Up: Pokemon maths challenges
- Pokemon Are Smart and Healthy
Pokemon Go Learning Resources – Language Arts
- Place Prepositions with Pokémon Go
- Pokemon Writing Ideas
- 9 Fun Ways to Practice English with Pokémon GO!
- Powerful Writing: Description in Creating Monster Trading Cards
Pokemon Go Printables
Here are some great printables for both teachers and parents. In particular, these are great for fast finishers, rainy days, or when your child proclaims he or she is bored!
- Free Pokemon Go Printable
- Coloring pages and more from DLTK
- Make Your Own Pokemon Go Team T-Shirts! (Free Printable)
- POKEMON coloring pages
- Pokemon Color by Number
Did you enjoy these resources? Please share your experiences and additional lessons in a comment below!