Who doesn’t love The Very Hungry Caterpillar? I loved it as a child, and now 30+ years later love reading it with my own children (it has become a favorite of both of them)! There are so many ways to incorporate this wonderful story into your classroom. Here are a few of my favorites!
Includes introduction strategies, basic concepts (counting, days of the week, back and front), ways to discuss change, and a post-reading activity making caterpillars and butterflies.
Through art, math, and dramatic-play activities, children will engage in activities that extend Eric Carle‘s story The Very Hungry Caterpillar.
Lesson ideas, printables, bulletin boards, and much more for your literature unit!
Ideas from actual teachers for using the Very Hungry Caterpillar in the classroom.
Ideas for using the Very Hungry Caterpillar to teach healthy eating.
Goal: To introduce the concept of sequence or story order
Objectives: by the end of the lesson:
- students will be able to sequence any set of events in the correct order
- students will be able to use the concept of ordinal numbers to help organize story events
- students will be learn the meaning of new vocabulary words
- students will listen for a purpose
- students will use a graphic organizer to arrange story events
- students will summarize story events
Children will write a book entitled “The Very Hungry Kindergartener” after reading and discussing the book “The Very Hungry Caterpillar.” Reinforces writing, phonetics, and counting.
The web quest will be completed on The Very Hungry Caterpillar; the target audience is for students grades 3-5. The web quest will be a cross curricular lesson that will incorporate national standards of reading comprehension, Science, Art, Health/Nutrition, English language, Technology and Mathematics.
EDITED 6/27/11 to add this amazing collection of Hungry Caterpillar activities from NurtureStore including the one seen in the photo – seriously, how cute is that?!
Now that you have your lessons and activities, check out these great deals on The Very Hungry Caterpillar educational resources!
- ‘The Very Hungry Caterpillar’ Becomes Focus of Anti-Obesity Campaign (aolhealth.com)
- ‘Very Hungry Caterpillar’ offers health lesson (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Need some last minute ideas for March Lesson Plans? (librarianbrain.wordpress.com)