According to the National Art Education Association (NaeA), Youth Art Month is an annual observance each March to emphasize the value of art education for all children and to encourage support for quality school art programs. I absolutely love all sorts of arts and crafts, from paper crafts to yarn crafts, and everything in between!
Youth Art Month was created in 1961 by ACMI, a non-profit association of art and craft materials manufacturers, in cooperation with the NAEA. In 1984, ACMI created CFAE to administer the national program and encourage funding for the program. Current members of the Council include: ACMI, which provides all administrative support and the majority of funding for national Youth Art Month; NAEA, whose members carry out local activities and whose state affiliates help fund state programs; The SHIP, a group of art materials exhibitors at the annual NAEA Convention; and the General Federation of Women’s Clubs, a volunteer women’s organization dedicated to community improvement through volunteer service. Other involved organizations include the Association of Crafts & Creative Industries, Hobby Industries Association, and National Art Materials Trade Association.
March is also the time to celebrate St. Patrick’s Day, Purim and SPRING!
Here are some great ideas to use art in your classroom and with your children to celebrate Youth Art Month:
General Art Projects
- TONS of kids’ craft ideas from Spoonful.com
- Make Your Own Bath Paint, Playdough and 10 Other Creative Kid Projects
- Superheroes! Robots! Cars! 12 Cool Crafts for Boys
- 35 Easy Animal Crafts For Kids
- 25 Classic Crafts For Kids
- What do you wish you had known about making art with children?
- The Best of Make-Your-Own Recipes
- Craft Ideas for Kids: 10 Homemade Gifts Kids Can Make
St. Patrick’s Day
- Easy St. Patrick’s Day Craft: Shamrock Garland
- Leprechaun Legends Lesson Plan from Crayola
- Clans and Tartans Lesson Plan from Crayola
- To Catch a Leprechaun – Three clever traps for taking a stand against St. Patrick’s Day mischief
- Wee Leprechaun
- Try-On Leprechaun
- 10 St. Patrick’s Day Crafts
- Leprechaun Hat for Chips
- Clay Pot Leprechaun
- 17 Best St. Patrick’s Day Crafts
- 32 St. Patrick’s Day Crafts
- Purim Gragger Lesson Plan from Crayola
- Haman’s 3 Pointed Hat (Printable!)
- King Mask Purim Craft (Printable!)
- Make Your Own Crown, Tiara or Very Silly Hat (Printable!)
- Purim Mask: Queen Esther (Printable!)
- Three-Cornered Cookie Basket Lesson Plan from Crayola
- Several great Purim crafts, including a Queen Esther Mask, noisemaker, and more!
- Purim puppets from wooden spoons
- Purim Finger Puppets (Printable!)
- Homemade Mishloach Manot Baskets for Purim
- TONS of Spring Craft Lesson Plans from Crayola
- 30 Fun Spring Crafts from Disney Family Fun
- Caterpillar Turned Butterfly Craft
- Paper Daffodils
- Butterfly Crafts For Kids
- Coffee Filter Butterfly
- Tons of Spring Crafts from Kaboose
- 10 Spring Kids’ Crafts
- Easy Butterfly Crafts For Kids
- Easy Spring Kids Crafts And Projects
Looking for some great kids’ crafts? Here are our top picks to help you make the most out of Youth Art Month!