**UPDATED 2/27/14 TO ADD MORE RESOURCES!**
The NCAA Tournament starts on March 18, 2014 and March Madness will officially be upon us. Why not use this fun basketball tournament to engage your students and/or children in some great learning activities?! Here are some great ones to get you started, but don’t hesitate to be creative and come up with some of your own (and if you do, please share)!!! Also make sure to check out the official NCAA Tournament Site for tons of info and updates.
March Madness Webquests
In this webquest, Students will look at many different areas of math found in the NCAA basketball tournament. Students will use the NCAA bracket to look at all the teams participating in the tournament. The world of math will come alive as students find fractions, decimals, and percents; probability statistics; make predictions; and look for patterns. By the end of this webquest, students will be able to relate a variety of math facts to the NCAA tournament and explain the importance of Mathematics in basketball.
As officials of the athletic department for your school you are responsible for making the plans for your team to attend the tournament. Travel plans will need to be made, statistics will need to be gathered, possible opponents need to be studied, and a program page will need to be created.
Lesson Plans and More
This is a fun way to see how much the kids know about the NCAA colleges & their mascots. This can be used as a filler when there is extra time left in class or just to keep up with the March Madness tournaments.
Students will use the huge college basketball tournament to work different types of math problems.
- Probability Activity
- Reading For Information Lesson Plan – Grades 9-12
- Tons of Great Activity Ideas from Lesson Planet
- Great Collection of Lessons and Activities from EF Explore America – Includes Reading, Writing and Language Arts, Math and Social Studies March Madness lesson plans.
- Some great activity ideas from Women’s forum – Ideas to get kids moving!
- Three tournament themed activities for children from Yahoo! Sports
- Sports Crafts for Kids
- Worksheets, Lesson Plans, Printables for Middle School
- Free worksheet for Grades K-4
- Several great math resource ideas, including some printables
- Basketball and net printable coloring page
- DiscoBratz March Madness Coloring Page
- Tons of basketball coloring pages
- Basketball Word Search
- The following basketball printables are excellent activities for kids to enjoy their favorite sport. The printable basketball pages currently available are word searches, a shaped maze, counting mazes, dot to dot printables, basketball coloring pages, preschool tracing worksheets, cryptogram puzzles and other fun worksheets for kids.
Also be sure to check out these great March Madness resources: